YouTube is the world’s most popular video-sharing website, with 500+ hours of content uploaded every minute. It has over 2.3 billion users and 800 million unique visitors each month. YouTube offers an incredible opportunity for people to share videos, connect with others on a global scale, and potentially make money from their creations. Here, we will explore some ways that you can use YouTube as social media, to create content that connects you more deeply with your audience and adjacent communities of interest, especially those who are not geographically close to you.
When considering whether or not it makes sense for you to start using YouTube as social media, here are four questions worth asking:
- Do I have anything original or compelling to say?
- Is anyone likely to be interested in my content?
- Am I willing and able to spend the necessary time and effort required for this endeavor?
- Do I want to establish a lasting, public presence on a site that is highly visible and has global reach?
If you answered yes to these questions, then you should consider using YouTube to connect with your communities of interest.
You can actually start using YouTube as social media, right away
YouTube gives you the opportunity to create and share videos easily and quickly without having to worry about snapping photos, editing clips, or other time-consuming tasks. There is no need for expensive production or fancy equipment (although these can add another dimension to your content if you decide to use them). A simple video camera, laptop, or even your phone will do.
YouTube offers two main benefits for social media content creators:
1) it is easy to access.
2) you can embed YouTube videos on any website.
1) Easy Access : One of the great things about YouTube is that it is constantly accessible. You can access it on your phone, your laptop, or your desktop computer. People are constantly checking into YouTube to watch their favorite videos. If you have a video that is compelling enough to be shared, people will find it.
2) Embedding : Once you upload a video onto YouTube you can easily embed it on any website. This means that if people like your content, they can easily share it and post it on other platforms where you might not have an account. If someone sees a video that they like and shares it to Facebook or Twitter, all their friends will be able to see it. It doesn’t stay on YouTube’s site, but instead is pushed out onto other social media platforms, where you can use it in a variety of ways to expand your audience and build a community.
When using YouTube as social media platform for content creation, there are three main steps:
1) set up your channel
2) create videos regularly but not too frequently
3) establish a call to action
1) Set up your channel: Getting started on YouTube as a content creator is very simple. All you need to do is create an account and upload your videos. You can either use the default settings or customize your “channel” page however you like with colors, backgrounds, text, and images. It is important to remember that when you create a YouTube channel, you are establishing a public presence on the Internet. It is helpful to consider how professional your page looks and incorporates your branding, which will help people recognize your content in different places online.
2) Create videos regularly but not too frequently:
The best practice for creating social media content is to do it regularly but not too frequently. It’s important that you don’t overwhelm your audience with too much information or content that isn’t relevant to them. You should also avoid creating content so infrequently that people will forget about you and what you have to offer.
Pro Tip #1: If you don't feel comfortable recording yourself for your YouTube videos and just want to use text to make great videos, you can check out my InVideo review, which is located, here. Pro Tip #2: If you would like to quickly create content for your videos, so that you can properly benefit from using YouTube as social media, you can use this AI content creation software to quickly get the job done! I review it, here, and you can get a FREE trial of it from here.
3) Establish a call to action: You want to create content that has a call to action. This means creating videos where you ask the audience to do something (for example, “if you like this video subscribe for more”) or visit your website. By establishing a call to action you are reinforcing what you want people to do, which will help guide their experiences with your content.
By following these three steps, you'll be on your way to using YouTube as social media for your content.
Pro Tip #3: If you'd like to super charge YOUR learning curve for GAINING MASTERY over all things YouTube, then I suggest you go ahead and click the link below and check out this amazing course (sign up for the free webinar to learn more): https://swiftcreator.com/YouTube-Mastery-Webinar
So, as discussed, YouTube can be a great place to host your video content. Remember how I said YouTube is accessible? YouTube makes videos embeddable, too. YouTube has a huge audience and many people go to YouTube first to find their news and entertainment. YouTube also lets you easily establish your content as professional and it gives you the ability to establish a call to action for your viewers. By following these steps, you'll be able to take full advantage of utilizing YouTube as social media.
I hope you've learned something from this post and I hope it's been informative for your needs! If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to leave a comment below.